On Monday, February 15, 2021, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) unveiled in a press release its future strategic roadmap for the next five years.
Through its President, Thomas Bach, the IOC proposes an “Agenda 2020+5” with 15 key recommendations.
The 15 recommendations of the Agenda 2020+5 :
- Strengthen the uniqueness and the universality of the Olympic Games
- Foster sustainable Olympic Games
- Reinforce athletes’ rights and responsibilities
- Continue to attract best athletes
- Further strengthen safe sport and the protection of clean athletes
- Enhance and promote the Road to the Olympic Games
- Coordinate the harmonisation of the sports calendar
- Grow digital engagement with people
- Encourage the development of virtual sports and further engage with video gaming communities
- Strengthen the role of sport as an important enabler for the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Strengthen the support to refugees and populations affected by displacement
- Reach out beyond the Olympic community
- Continue to lead by example in corporate citizenship
- Strengthen the Olympic Movement through good governance
- Innovate revenue generation models
This new “Agenda 2020+5” should nevertheless be submitted to the IOC members for consideration and adoption at the 137th IOC session next March.